Oct 012014

Six Days on El Cap - An Interview with Sam Elias

An Interview with Sam Elias by Walker Emerson JUNE 25th 2014: Sam and Mike shiver on a small rock ledge two thousand feet above the ground. They huddle around a small single burner stove for warmth. Burning their precious fuel, they pray the storm breaks before they run out of supplies or freeze to death. Read more…

Sep 042014

Tuolumne First Night ~ A Poem by Charles Jasper

TUOLUMNE FIRST NIGHT: An Appreciation Poem By PG San Francisco Yoga Instructor Charles S Jasper I don’t know where or how to start A sacred bow of appreciation. Maybe For these woods varied and quiet An essential stillness and a cold night Arriving sudden as a bear standing; For the coyote clutch of young Read more…

Aug 272014

Flight of the Falcon - by Walker Emerson

Walker Emerson is an avid outdoor climber, PG routesetter and monthly contributor to the Planet Granite blog. Last week I got attacked by a peregrine falcon. Cowering on a small ledge a thousand feet in the air. The bird flew straight at us, its talons and wings outstretched, moving with incredible speed. A long day Read more…

Aug 222014

Yosemite Climber Stewards by John Connor

Planet Granite prides itself on the PG Gives Back Program. You might remember when you signed up for membership, you were asked to choose a category for us to donate to in your name: Climbing, Community, or Environment.  With support from the PG Gives Back Program and additional sponsors, the Yosemite Climber Stewards (along with the Climbing Trails Read more…

Aug 152014

6th Annual Bloc Party is back!

Correction: the wrong dates were posted last week! Bloc Party is FRIDAY, August 22nd at PG Sunnyvale. See you then! Mark your calendars – Bloc Party is back! The series begins on Friday, August 22nd with registration opening at 4pm! If you haven’t joined us for our annual community bouldering competition in the past, you’re Read more…

Jul 302014

A Day on the Incredible Hulk - by Walker Emerson

A Day on the Incredible Hulk Surviving an epic in the mountains – By Walker Emerson  — Shivering in the sun on a granite cliff I watch my yellow puke drip down the sparkling rock. Pieces of oats and a brown paste streaked with melted chocolate chips stain the ledge at my feet. I’m embarrassed. Read more…