*Want each WOW delivered to your inbox?
Click here to receive an email every Monday with a brand new workout!
INTRO: *At PG we love our CIRCUITS! With this WOW you climb the CIRCUIT of your choice, completing it at least 2 times in its entirety.
*Round 1 = focus on ‘Hand Hovers’. Round 2 = switch it up with ‘Foot Hovers’.*
*By slowing down your movement on the boulder problems, holding positions for 3-5 seconds, this WOW targets a variety of skills from hand & arm strength, core, body tension, endurance and footwork.
*This WOW can be used as a warm-up or the main exercise in your training session. It’s also easy to customize for varying abilities if climbing with friends!
*Pay close attention to your footwork and body positioning as this WOW demands the use of good technique!
*GOAL: Climb your CIRCUIT at least 2 times finishing both exercises.
*EXERCISE 1 – HAND HOVERS
1. Climb each move statically in your CIRCUIT.
2. Pause with your hand hovering over but not touching each hand hold on all 6 problems.
*EXERCISE 2 – FOOT HOVERS
1. Simply repeat the instructions in exercise 1 and now hover your foot above each foot-hold instead.
*TIPS & TRICKS –
*Keep your core and mid-back engaged with efficient positioning on every move.
*When faced with a dynamic move that you are unable to lock-off, simply complete the move dynamically and continue to lock-off on the subsequent moves.
– Hovering your hand or foot for either longer or shorter intervals enables you to cater the difficulty of this workout to your own needs.
– To increase difficulty, wear a weighted vest or increase the amount of time you hover and hold each position. Add additional problems to your rotation.
– If struggling to complete your CIRCUIT, bump down to an easier level, choose your own problems or reduce the amount of problems in your rotation.
ABOUT EVAN – Evan found climbing later in life after spending ten years playing at the national level for Ultimate frisbee. Now he brings his analytical mind to focus on the forms and techniques of climbing, as one of the advanced instructors at PG Sunnyvale and as one of the competition level youth climbing team coaches. When not in the gym Evan climbs outside in the mountains whenever possible and finds sport routes and boulders to climb if the mountains are unreachable.
Evan is passionate about coaching and sharing his knowledge of climbing; if you’re interested in private lessons, he can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.